Who’s Whoo?! – Megan Kenny & Kirsten O’Beirne

Megan Kenny, Assistant Registrar

• What I do: Help students to register for classes through BiONiC, am the liaison for the graduate schools, and assist with graduation.
  • Favorite book: My favorite book is Princess by Jean Sasson.  It was absolutely riveting!
  • Dream vacation spot: Tahiti
  • Favorite dessert: Anything with Nutella
  • Best thing about Bryn Mawr: The leadership opportunities!  Students are really encouraged to step up and become comfortable as leaders.
  • Best thing about the Registrar’s Office: We maintain the integrity of the College’s academic data (i.e. course info, enrollment data, grades) and are enthusiastic about our roles as data stewards. If a student ever has a question about her record, we are happy to look at it with her.
  • BMC club/activity I’d like to join: The Badminton Club.  My family used to play very competitive badminton games at our summer picnics, so I got really good at the game.
  • Tip for the first year at BMC: Review your unofficial transcript after every term.  It takes 2 minutes, so why not?
  • What I like about working with new students: I enjoy hearing about where they came from and all the things they want to do during their time at Bryn Mawr.
  • Favorite thing about my job: Getting to talk with students every day.
  • Favorite spot on campus: The row of weeping cherry trees behind Rockefeller Hall.  They look stunning in April when they bloom for just a week.  I always make sure to bring my camera to work and snap a few pics.
  • In my free time, I enjoy: Training my greyhound (see photo) in dog agility.
  • If I were an animal, I’d be: A bird.  I’d love to have wings and fly.
  • Little known fact about me: I once went on a free, brief hot air balloon ride – it was a thank you because the pilot landed in my backyard by accident!
  • My secret talent: Flower arranging.  I took an elective class on the topic while in college and have been doing it for fun ever since.
  • Nickname: Nix-nootz.  It means “darling little mischief maker” in the Pennsylvania Dutch language.
  • On my summer to-do list: Going tubing down the Delaware River.

Kirsten O’Beirne, Registrar

What I do: The Registrar’s Office coordinates all aspects of course planning, registration and grading. I oversee the work we do with faculty and departments to gather course information and grading. We work with students around registration, doing the set-up in BiONiC and answering student questions during registration.  One of the things I do in particular is work with students on transferring credits from other Colleges back to Bryn Mawr.  So if you are ever thinking of taking a summer course, please come to see me!

• Favorite book or movie: I am a big Harry Potter fan (books and movies).
  • Dream vacation spot: I’ve never been to the Grand Canyon, and I would love to go there.
  • Favorite dessert: chocolate chip cookies
  • Best thing about Bryn Mawr: Bryn Mawr’s campus!  It is beautiful!
  • Best thing about the Registrar’s Office: I like technology, but I would never want to stare at a screen all day. In the Registrar’s Office we use BiONiC to make things like registration more efficient so that we have time to work directly with student on other things.
  • BMC club/activity I’d like to join: The BMC Greens!
  • Tip for the first year at BMC: Ask questions!  You will hear about all sorts of things this summer and during Customs Week, but no one expects you to remember everything!  We are happy to answer questions.
  • What I like about working with new students: The excitement and enthusiasm that new students bring at the start of the semester is contagious.
  • Favorite thing about my job: I love Bryn Mawr! In the Registrar’s Office we work with faculty, students, administrative staff and alums so you can really see the mission of the College in action.
  • Favorite spot on campus: My office – really, my office is awesome.  I also love the Taft Garden behind Canaday Library.
  • In my free time, I enjoy: Reading, and doing fun stuff with my daughter.
  • If I were an animal, I’d be: I’d probably be a cat.
  • Little known fact about me: I’ve been to every state on the east coast and the west coast of the US, but only one state in between.
  • My secret talent: I’m pretty good at trivia, as long as it isn’t about music.
  • Nickname: Kir
  • On my summer to-do list is: Vacation, vacation and getting zucchini to grow in my garden – I have checked them all off!