Who’s Whoo?! – Stephanie Nixon & Vanessa Christman

Who’s Whoooo at Bryn Mawr – Profile of Stephanie Nixon (Pensby Center)
Stephanie Nixon serves as Assistant Dean and Director of Diversity, Social Justice & Inclusion and Title IX Coordinator for the College.  She works in the Pensby Center, which is home to diversity and inclusion programs, leadership programs, and international services and advising.  This summer, she will be facilitating Tri-College Identity, Equity and Social Justice Institute (Tri-Co), a pre-Customs academic and leadership program focusing on identity, power, and social justice. If you’re not participating in Tri-Co, you will get a chance to meet Stephanie during Customs Week, when she will present sessions on the topics of diversity and consent and sexual assault on college campuses. These sessions include the Customs diversity conversations, the presentation on Title IX, the “Speak About It” group discussions, and more sessions during the first-year Wellness program. Stephanie is an incredibly dynamic and engaging presenter and her energy is contagious as is her passion for Bryn Mawr and social justice.

• What I do: I work with diversity and social justice initiatives on campus like the Diversity Council, Diversity Leadership Group, supporting the Alliance of Multicultural Organizations, advising the Community Diversity Assistants, and Spectra Gender and Sexuality Education, and Tri-Co and Dimensions of Diversity social justice retreats among other programs. I also serve as the coordinator of the College’s educational efforts around sexual harassment and sexual assault and support reporting and follow up processes related to our policies.
  • Favorite book, song or movie: Favorite book is a tough one as I am an avid reader and bounce between non-fiction and fantasy and sci-fi. One of my favorites is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, although I must admit to having a lot of favorite books.
  • Best things about Bryn Mawr: Self-governance and commitment to challenging Bryn Mawr to constantly evolve into a better version of itself.
  • Best thing about Pensby: Pensby is a great place to explore new ideas and to complicate existing understandings of ourselves and our communities.
  • Tip for the first year at BMC: Take a risk and try something new just for the fun of it!
  • What I like about working with new students: I value the chance to learn from all students constantly, and I appreciate the new perspectives and questions the newest members of our community bring.
  • Favorite thing about my job: I am so blessed and privileged to work in a role that aligns with my values and brings me learning and meaning each day.
  • Favorite spot on campus: Almost anywhere outside on a warm and sunny day.
  • In my free time, I enjoy: Spending time with my partner, my dog, my family, and squeezing in time for reading, watching soccer and knitting.
  • If I were an animal, I’d be: My dog, Cleo. She has kind of a sweet life.
  • My secret talent: Like all superheroes, I feel I must keep my powers and my alterego secret to protect those I love.
  • Nickname: Snixon

On my summer to-do list: Reading in the sunshine, urban hikes and time with family (see above).

Who’s Whoooo at Bryn Mawr – Profile of Vanessa Christman, Assistant Dean and Director of Leadership and Community Development
This week you’ll get a chance to get to know a little more about Vanessa Christman of The Pensby Center.

What I do: I work to support individual growth and build community at Bryn Mawr. All of us at the Pensby Center are dedicated to making the College as inclusive a place as possible, while celebrating the diversity of our community. Much of my focus is on small cohorts of students, but I work with everyone from individuals to foundations.

My majors in college: Drama and French

Favorite song: I have a soft spot for Leo Brower’s “Afro-Cuban Lullaby,” Prokofiev’s “Overture on Hebrew Themes” and anything by Gershwin. But I also like new music, especially if you can dance to it!

Dream vacation spot: Morocco

Favorite memory from my first year at college: Being cast in a play, and becoming part of a close community within the college.

Favorite dessert: A bite of something someone else is having (Just ask my kids!)

Favorite spot on campus: The view of campus from the second floor of the Pensby Center

BMC club/activity I’d like to join: Rhythm and Motion or Pulso Latino

Favorite way to start the day: Walking with my husband and our dog in a nearby park (after coffee, of course!)

Tip for the first year at BMC: Look for activities and relationships that will support you, as well as for those that will stretch you.