Whoo’s Whoo?! — ViAnna Bernard and Mary Beth Horvath

ViAnna Bernard, Assistant Director of Residential Life

• What I do: I work closely with our Hall Advisors and our two Graduate Assistants to make the experience of living at Bryn Mawr as welcoming and engaging as possible! I am always here as a resource for students who have issues or questions arise relating to their room or roommates. I also oversee Project Dorm Room, which is a room design contest that takes place later in the fall semester.
  • Favorite book or music: The Polar Express is my favorite story OF ALL TIME!  My favorite genre of music is country, but I will dance to ANYTHING and love just about all music.  I also have an unusual affinity for Meatloaf.
  • Favorite Movies: Titanic, Dirty Dancing, Gone with the Wind, Forrest Gump, and Waitress. I generally enjoy any movie that makes me laugh or cry, but I also appreciate a good horror movie once in a while.
  • Dream vacation spot: Somewhere with lots of snow and a crackling fire.
  • Favorite dessert: Anything lemon!
  • Favorite Quote: “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'” -Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Tip for the first year at BMC: Don’t be afraid to ask for help. We all need a hand sometimes, and you are absolutely never alone. There are lots of people here that want to help you, so all you have to do is ask!
  • What I like about working with new students: Their sheer excitement about Bryn Mawr!
  • Favorite thing about my job: It allows for a lot of creativity, and we actually spend most of our time in the office laughing. I am surrounded by amazing people each day I come to work.
  • In my free time, I enjoy: Hunting for bargains at flea markets, yard sales, and thrift stores, decorating, playing with my nieces, cooking up a storm, having coffee with my mom and dad, trying new restaurants with friends, and organizing anything that will sit still long enough.
  • Little known fact about me: I grew up in a farm family in a very rural area of South Jersey, and I loved every minute of it. I guess that probably explains the affinity for country music…

Who’s Whoooo at Bryn Mawr – Profile of Mary Beth Horvath, Director of Student Activities & Orientation

• What I do: As the Director of Student Activities and Orientation I strive to create a vibrant student community on campus. I oversee the Activities Assistants who help me plan a variety of programs to help students develop healthy and meaningful relationships with others, learn about themselves, and develop leadership and life skills. Many of those activities also help students take a break from their studies when they need it. The Activities Assistants also help students learn about Philadelphia and all the great places you can explore and fun things you can do in the city. I work directly with a number of student led clubs and activities to help them plan engaging events for the campus community to enjoy. I’m the advisor to Traditions and work closely with the Traditions Mistresses to help create a sense of community on campus. I also oversee the Customs program, our new student orientation program, and work with the Customs committee and Customs People to help new students acclimate to the College. Find out more about the Customs program by visiting our website at brynmawr.edu/customs.
  • My majors in college: Music and Environmental Studies at Dickinson College
  • Favorite movie: Grease!
  • Favorite dessert: Strawberry Shortcake
  • Favorite spot on campus: Campus Center
  • BMC club/activity I’d like to join: WHRC, Social Committee, Film Series… I was involved in clubs like these at my undergraduate institution.
  • Tip for the first year at BMC: Be open to meeting new people, exploring new interests, learning about other cultures, getting involved, and ask for help if you need it! Everyone is here to help you succeed in whatever you choose to do. Also, explore Philadelphia! Philly is a city rich in culture, with world class museums and restaurants, theater, sporting events, and so much more.
  • What I like about working with new students: Their excitement, enthusiasm, and ambition!
  • Favorite thing about my job: Working with and getting to know students and planning events for the community.
  • In my free time, I enjoy: Running, crochet, reading, trying new restaurants, watching TV, spending time with my husband Bryan and cats Max and Sam.
  • My secret talent: I make awesome breads and jams and recently began making a variety of baked goods. I crochet stuffed animals; you can find some of my crocheted owls in various offices around campus.
  • Nickname:  MB
  • On my summer to-do list: Plan a great Customs experience for the Class of 2021!